Confetti Park: Mardi Gras Indians, Brass Bands, Piano Profs!
Hi kids! It’s Mardi Gras time in Louisiana! Confetti Park is a kids radio show out of New Orleans. In my city the kids are out of school while we celebrate the end of the Epiphany season with parades, lots of good food, and music. Brass bands, marching bands, Indian chants, and sweet rock n roll. I’d like to bring you along for the carnival ride today…
Every city that celebrates Mardi Gras has its own special customs, and in New Orleans, we have a few unique aspects… such as the Mardi Gras Indians. Neighborhood tribes wear fabulous towering costumes made up of colorful feathers and beads…. the Big Chiefs battle for who is the most beautiful on a Mardi Gras Day.
One of the songs I play today is famous across the world, but what you might not know is that it came from the New Orleans Mardi Gras Indian tradition. This song “Iko Iko,” performed by the Dixie Cups, tells the story of two warring Indian tribes who have a confrontation in the street.
I also play “My Indian Red,” a very famous Indian prayer, performed by the Baby Dodds Trio. On Fat Tuesday, we will hear that sung on the streets of New Orleans from sunup to sundown. And there are other songs sure to be played along the parade routes where families will be camped to catch beads.
Songs included in this episode:
Red White and Blue Got the Golden Band – Mardi Gras Indians
Iko Iko – The Dixie Cups
Joke of the Day – Ash Who?
My Indian Red – Baby Dodds Trio
Ooh Poo Pah Doo – Trombone Shorty
Throw Me Something Mister – Johnette Downing & Jimmy LaRocca’s ODJB
Aveine, Aveine, Aveine – Les Petits Amis
Every Day is Mardi Gras – Schatzy
3-6-9 (The Clapping Song) – Confetti Park Players
Crawfish Fiesta – Professor Longhair
Mardi Gras in New Orleans – Olympia Brass Band
This episode also features The Cajun Cornbread Boy by Dianne De Las Casas at Storytime.
About Confetti Park
The Confetti Parkhosted by Katy Hobgood Ray, features music and stories spun in Louisiana. It showcases songs that kids love, songs created for kids, and songs created by kids. Sparkling interviews, in-studio performances, delightful music medleys, jokes, local author storytime, and a little surprise lagniappe make for an entertaining show!
Current broadcast schedule:
- KVOY 104.5 FM Norman OK, every weekday between 3-4 p.m.
- KCEI 90.1 FM Red River/Taos, NM every Saturday between 7-8 a.m.
- KXCJ-LP 105.7 FM Cave Junction, OR every Saturday at 7:30 a.m.
- WRFA 107.9 FM Jamestown, NY every Saturday at 8 a.m.
- KFZR 93.3FM Frazier Park, CA every Saturday and Sunday at 9 a.m.
- KLQS 96.7FM Agua Dulce, CA every Saturday and Sunday at 9 a.m.
- WHIV 102.3 FM New Orleans every Saturday at 11 a.m.
- KWRK 90.9 FM Fairbanks, AK every Sunday at 7 a.m.
- KPNW-DB Pacific Northwest Radio Bellingham, WA every Sunday at 9 a.m.
- WHYR 96.9 FM Baton Rouge every Sunday at 11:30 a.m.
- KSLU 90.9 FM Hammond every Sunday at 12 p.m.
- WHPW 97.3 FM Harpswell Center, ME various times
Coming soon to KBOG 97.9 FM Bandon Community Radio in Bandon, OR. Stay tuned!
A full list of Confetti Park stations (and a map) is available at https://confettipark.com/podcast/
Community radio stations, interested in carrying Confetti Park? Contact Katy Ray.